Surgical services in Myrtle Beach, SC
At Grand Strand Physicians, we provide a wide range of surgery options for patients in the Myrtle Beach area. We offer state-of-the-art technology and the latest minimally invasive techniques to ensure that your surgery is safe and successful.
For more information or to speak with one of our surgeons, you can schedule an appointment.
General surgery procedures we perform
General surgery includes any procedure that is performed on the abdomen, including the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, liver and pancreas. They also treat many different types of hernias. Our trained and experienced general surgeons provide care for patients with conditions in these areas, including the following procedures:
Our surgeons treat a wide variety of abdominal conditions such as:
- Acute appendicitis and appendiceal cancer
- Bile duct surgery
- Chronic gallbladder disease and acute cholecystitis
- Colon cancer and diverticular disease
- Gastrointestinal reflux disease
- Hernias (hiatal, groin, abdominal wall and umbilical)
- Liver surgery
- Pancreatic surgery
- Stomach surgery
Laparoscopic surgery is used when appropriate.
Digestive tract surgery
Our surgeons treat conditions of the digestive tract including esophagus, stomach, duodenum, small intestine, colon, rectum, and anus. They also treat surgical disorders of the pancreas, liver, gallbladder, and biliary system.
We offer consultation and treatment for surgical disorders of the thyroid gland, parathyroid glands, and adrenal glands.
Depending on the cell type of cancer and the organ or structure affected, the surgeon's role in cancer care can vary greatly. We believe in a team approach to the diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up of patients and families affected by cancer.
Types of cancer we treat with surgery include colon cancer, abdominal cancer and breast cancer. We also treat breast cancer with sentinel lymph node biopsies and vacuum-assisted biopsies, which take several tissue samples by inserting just one probe.
Cosmetic and reconstructive surgery
We perform a wide range of cosmetic and reconstructive procedures for patients wanting to improve their appearance and those who need their body repaired after illness or injury. Procedures include:
- Abdominal wall surgery — repairs the abdominal wall after hernia surgery
- Body contouring — liposuction, abdominoplasty, brachioplasty and lower body lift
- Breast reconstruction — includes tissue expander, direct to implant, autologous tissue reconstruction, nipple reconstruction, fat grafting and mastopexy
- Cosmetic breast surgery — breast augmentation, breast lift and breast reduction.
- Facial cosmetic surgery — facelifts, rhinoplasty, brow lift, blepharoplasty and otoplasty
- Facial reconstruction — procedures to repair fractures of the facial skeleton and lacerations involving skin, muscles and nerves
- Hand surgery — repairs fractures, lacerations, amputations, nerve dysfunctions, nerve pain, joint pain and hand infections.
- Microsurgery — a procedure in which doctors can move skin, fat, muscle and bone to other parts of the body
- Nerve pain — chronic tingling, loss of sensation, and pain in the fingers, hands and arms
- Pediatric reconstructive surgery — pediatric trauma reconstruction, repair of congenital ear abnormalities and treatment of congenital vascular malformations.
Critical care trauma
If you are injured or have a life-threatening medical situation involving many parts of the body, our critical care trauma surgeons will take care of you in the hospital until you are stable.
We work with Grand Strand Medical Center and our local emergency medical response team to care for surgical, multi-organ system and orthopedic trauma patients. Our orthopedic trauma surgeon specializes in treating trauma injuries that affect the bones, joints and soft tissues.
Heart and vascular surgery
Our surgeons are skilled in many types of cardiovascular surgery and can treat a wide range of conditions related to the heart and blood vessels, including:
- Carotid artery disease
- Coronary heart disease
- Heart arrhythmias
- Peripheral arterial disease
- Structural heart abnormalities
- Vascular trauma
- Venous disease
Our surgeons provide orthopedic care for a wide range of bone, joint and muscle conditions, including fractures and sports-related injuries. Some of our services include:
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction
- Carpal tunnel surgery
- Joint replacement surgery
- Rotator cuff repair
Spine and neck surgery
We provide a wide range of neurological services, including the following procedures:
- Anterior cervical fusion
- Anterior lumbar interbody fusion (ALIF)
- Intrathecal pain pumps
- Interspinous fusion
- Lateral lumbar interbody fusion (LLIF)
- Lumbar discectomies
- Lumbar fusion
- Posterior cervical fusion
- Spine trauma
- Spine tumors
Minimally invasive and robotic surgery
We can perform minimally invasive and robotic surgery, which provides an alternative to both traditional open surgery and conventional laparoscopy.
Robotic-assisted surgery enables surgeons to perform even the most complex and delicate procedures through very small incisions with unmatched precision.
Patients see many benefits of minimally invasive and robotic surgery, such as:
- Faster recovery and quicker return to normal activities
- Less post-operative medication
- Less scarring
- Less post-operative pain and discomfort
- Lower risk of infection
- Reduced blood loss and need for transfusion
- Reduced trauma to the body
- Shorter hospital stay
Many surgical procedures, especially general surgeries, can be done with minimally invasive and robotic techniques. You can ask your surgeon to see if minimally invasive surgery is right for you.
Some procedures we perform through a minimally invasive approach include:
- Abdominal cancer surgery (robotic)
- Aortic and mitral valve repair and replacement
- Appendix and gallbladder removal (robotic)
- Colon surgery (robotic)
- Heartburn and reflux surgery (robotic)
- Hip and knee arthroscopy
- Inguinal and abdominal wall hernia surgery (robotic)
- Liver and pancreatic surgery (robotic)
Surgery updates via text message
If a loved one is having surgery, you can be kept up-to-date on their status by using our free surgery text messaging service.